Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The fear of failure

Everytime I get ready to spill my heart for "everyone" to see I think a little about my sister, who always seems to regret that she did. That is not meant to be an insult to her, because I think her apprehension is something that all of us feel. It is really frightening to know that how you are feeling at this exact moment will be seen by many - no matter what the emotion - you are opening yourself up to a great vulnerability. I encourage her to share, because it is easier to read the thoughts of others than to share your own, but the reason I do it is because a lot of times I think we all feel the same things at any given point in time. To be able to see that in script is a great comfort.
I've had the opportunity, and the burden, of introspection at my fingertips for quite some time now. There are things that I really appreciate about being able to analyze the events in my life and there are things that I loathe. The longer you have to think about things, and wonder, and wish, the longer you have to think about what you could have done better. I could've done this differently and I could've done that. I would've said this, or I wouldn't have. It's almost like a slow torture. That is what I have been doing for a very long time now.
I am insecure and unstable. I constantly replay things in my mind and think of the things I could've done differently. It really gets me nowhere. In my weakest moments, I say and do things that are out of my right mind and completely opposite of the person I want to be. Those things I can't change because they are done. And as much as I think about them and hope that I learn from them, I don't. I think that sometimes being a loose cannon is the easiest out. No one expects much, and you don't expect much from yourself.
I am not old, but I'm getting older. I fear the uncertain. I wish I had all the answers. If I could go back and right all of my wrongs I most certainly would. But I can't. All I want is to take my experiences and become a better person. I don't know how to do it. Because for the most part I'm living in the past. I think we all have something that we want to be, a vision of how we want to live our lives. My biggest fear is that I won't get the opportunity because I'm too caught up in what I've already done wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It's really beautifully written and you're totally right that I can relate to a lot of what you've written here and it is comforting. Not because I want you to feel bad but because at least I know we're all in this together.

    I'm glad you're doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacy J,
    The greatest thing that we can do for ourselves is forgive our own mistakes. The good thing about being introspective is our ability to judge the things that make us weak and to rise above those old behaviors and become better people. You are living this progress as we speak. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete