Monday, January 23, 2012

Creating more noise than answers

I got into a not-so-friendly arguement over the last couple days (the topic, at this point, is unimportant) and realized that the one thing that I have always appreciated about debating is no longer true.

To me the sole purpose of an arguement or debate is to learn and try to understand the perspective of other people. To voice what you believe, listen to what the other person believes, and have each side take something from it and expand on their knowledge. It doesn't necessarily mean that you will change the other person's mind or that they will change yours, but that you will have a better understanding as to why the person feels the way they do. What I have found in recent days is that the other person is not interested in your ideas or opinions and will use whatever tactics necessary to make themselves appear to be right.

During my arguement I told this person that I just wanted him to acknowledge that his truth isn't THE truth, nor is mine. While I was trying not to become too emotionally involved in this discussion, I found myself needing to take a step back. Some people do not care what others think, they don't enter discussions wanting to learn. They simply want to be the loudest, to appear clever and intelligent by making others feel stupid and as though their opinions aren't valid. I have always felt that people who need to make others feel badly in order to make themselves feel better are incredibly insecure. I left the conversation still wanting to have some sort of meaningful interaction, but it looks like that's not going to be happening today.

No comments:

Post a Comment